IPCDA Unit :01
Which processes and trends have influenced the contemporary discourse on citizenship? What is citizenship? How is the concept relevant to issues of actor-oriented perspectives on rights and development? The focus of the first Unit is to address these fundamental questions. The aim is to approach the concept of citizenship within a wider understanding of rights and development. This would enable a meaningful discussion on citizenship as an active and participatory process.
On the completion of this Unit, you should have a clear grasp of:
- The processes and trends that have influenced an understanding of the concept of citizenship in contemporary times;
- Dominant perspectives on citizenship;
- Understanding citizenship;
- Issues of citizenship in the context of human rights and development;
- Emerging notion of citizenship as ‘active’, ‘participatory’ or ‘inclusive’.