Picture of Abdul Rahman Abdullah
occupational health concern of smelter workers
by Abdul Rahman Abdullah - Tuesday, 23 June 2015, 11:15 AM

dear all Shall we initiate a discussion on occupational Health Concerns of Smelter Workers ? Primary Aluminium and other smelters are loaded with many occupational health and safety issues including but not limited to Heat Stress, Pot Room Asthma, exposure to Carcinogenic substances like PAH and the list is goes on. many aluminium smelters are located in the Arabian Gulf because of the availability of cheep energy which is the back bone of any smelter. The harsh environmental conditions of this geographical region adds into the risk. I would like to get your thoughts on this Regards Abdul Rahman Al Sawafi

Picture of Shyju Varghese
Re: occupational health concern of smelter workers
by Shyju Varghese - Tuesday, 23 June 2015, 1:13 PM

Dear Abdul- Thanks for initiating this discussion. In addition to the major risks you listed here, I would like to add Health effects related to static magnetic fields in pot rooms and fluoride Emission as OHS concerns of Aluminium Smelting. according to IPS/SEEN/TNI Report 2001]Smelters are responsible for 90 percept of all tetrafluromethane, and 65 percept of all hexafluoroethane emissions worldwide, If a proper engineering controls and PPE are not in place prolonged fluoride emission can lead to many Health Concerns. even though health hazards from magnetic filed(including Mutation and Carcinogenic Property) is a controversial topic, I believe all measures to be introduce to avoid avoidable exposure. in spite of the fact that Hall-Héroult process (using Pre Baked anode) has considerably reduced many OHS hazards and made aluminium industry more energy efficient ,Aluminium industry continue to have many potential OHS hazrds as you listed. Regards Shyju
Picture of Abdul Rahman Abdullah
Re: occupational health concern of smelter workers
by Abdul Rahman Abdullah - Wednesday, 24 June 2015, 10:24 AM

Thanks Shytu , Smelter operation is require more focuses from medical and occupational health and hygiene wise ,especially if it knew subject for us in GCC