Picture of Nandita (INS)
Welcome!
by Nandita (INS) - Friday, 25 April 2014, 5:43 PM

Welcome friends and learners to your course on Understanding Gender in Society: Concepts and Trends. I, as your course instructor take great joy in having you with us as co travellers in this journey of mutual learning. I have been with PRIA for several years and am a member of the gender team.

Our current work in the sphere of gender involves gender mainstreaming in institutions and violence against women. Our work also focuses on prevention of sexual harassment at workplace. Our team represents our organisation as third party members in internal complaints committees of several other organisations across the country. We review and formulate anti sexual harassment policies and also conduct trainings and awareness programmes on the same. Another important aspect of our work is our engagement with youth in Sonepat, Haryana and Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh on the issue of violence against women and girls. I am extremely excited to have you in the course and look forward to some very rich discussions.

All the very best

Nandita

Picture of Nandita (INS)
Re: Welcome!
by Nandita (INS) - Tuesday, 29 April 2014, 10:59 AM

Dear learners
I join Nandita in welcoming you to this six month programme on understanding the issue of gender and how our views on this issue impact on our personal lives, our families and society at large.
Nandita has already spoken about the kind of work that we do in PRIA on the issue of gender discrimination and violence against women.  We also are involved in working with institutions/organisations in making their spaces more gender conducive with a focus on the inclusion of women's needs. Organising gender sensitisation workshops and trainings is another area of our work. We take our participants through awareness of the different dimensions of gender - right from when we are born, into our childhood, through our adolescent years, as young adults and as we grow older and try to understand how our perceptions of gender impact on the way we live our lives and the decisions that we take.
And this is exactly the process that we are going to take you through – although in a virtual mode. Since we are a group of about 10 participants, we can even consider having a Skype conversation, suiting the timings of our international learners as well.  Please remember that the success our course and learning depends upon your active participation in the discussions.   
We look forward to hearing about each of you, as the first step in this learning process and the conversations and discussions that will follow.
Warm regards
Martha